Hello! I am a Senior Deep Learning Scientist at NVIDIA. Previously, I was an Applied Research Scientist at Grammarly (2022-2023), a Senior Research Scientist at Megagon Labs (2017-2022), a Visiting Scientist at the Human Dynamics Group, MIT Media Lab (2014-2016), and a Research Scientist at NTT Laboratories (2008-2014). I received my B.E., M.E, and Ph.D. (Dr. Eng.) respectively from Keio University, Japan.
My research interest has been lying in the intersection of Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and Data Management, with a recent focus of Large Language Models. I also work on computational approaches for the social sciences known as Computational Social Science.
My current research scope can be categorized as follows:
- Text Summarization/Generation [EMNLP 2023] [ACL Findings 2022] [EMNLP Findings 2021] [TACL 2021] [ACL 2020]
- Table Understanding [VLDBJ 2023] [SIGMOD 2022] [VLDB 2021] [VLDB 2020]
- Information/Knowledge Extraction [WWW 2021] [NAACL 2019]
I’m a ramen enthusiast.
- 2023-01: Our paper “Effective entity matching with transformers” has been published at VLDB Journal!
- 2022-10: Our paper “Summarizing Community-based Question-Answer Pairs” has been accepted at EMNLP 2022!
- 2022-07: Co-organized a tutorial on opinion summarization at SIGIR 2022. The slides and videos are available at GitHub.
- 2022-04: Our tutorial “Beyond Opinion Mining: Summarizing Opinions of Customer Reviews” will be held at SIGIR 2022!
- 2022-02: Our paper “Comparative Opinion Summarization via Collaborative Decoding” has been accepted to Findings of ACL 2022!
- 2021-12: Our paper “Annotating Columns with Pre-trained Language Models” has been accepted at SIGMOD 2022!
- 2021-11: Happy to be selected as an Outstanding Reviewer at EMNLP 2022
- 2021-09: I’m teaching a fall semester course “CIS 6930 Topics in Computing for Data Science”, which covers a variety of Deep Learning techniques at New College of Florida as part of the Graduate Program in Applied Data Science.
- 2021-09: Our paper “Convex Aggregation for Opinion Summarization” has been accepted to Findings of EMNLP 2021!
- 2021-08: Happy to be selected as an Outstanding Reviewer at ACL-IJCNLP 2021!
- 2021-01: Our paper “Constructing Explainable Opinion Graphs from Reviews” has been accepted at WWW 2021!
- 2021-01: Our paper “Deep Entity Matching: Challenges and Opportunities” was published in ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality (JDIQ).
- 2020-12: Happy to know that I was listed as an Outstanding Reviewer at EMNLP 2020!
- 2020-12: Our paper “Extractive Opinion Summarization in Quantized Transformer Spaces” is to appear in TACL! Also check out the SPACE dataset, a new large-scale evaluation benchmark for opinion summarization!
- 2020-08: Our paper “Deep Entity Matching with Pre-Trained Language Models” has been accepted at VLDB 2021 Scalable Data Science Track!
- 2020-05: Our paper “Sato: Contextual Semantic Type Detection in Tables” was accepted to PVLDB!
- 2020-04: Our short paper “OpinionDigest: A Simple Framework for Opinion Summarization” was accepted at ACL 2020!
- 2020-03: A mass collaboration paper “Measuring the predictability of life outcomes with a scientific mass collaboration” on the Fragile Families Challenge was published in PNAS. I’m honor to participate in the challenge!
- 2020-02: Our demo paper “ExtremeReader: An interactive explorer for customizable and explainable review summarization” was accepted at WWW 2020! Online demo is available.
- 2020-02: We presented “Emu: Enhancing Multilingual Sentence Embeddings with Semantic Specialization” at AAAI 2020! Check out our blog post.
- Program Commitee/Reviewer
- Conference: ARR, ACL, NAACL, EMNLP, EACL, CoNLL, *SEM, LREC, AAAI, IJCAI, NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR
- Journal: ACM Transactions (HEALTH, IMWUT, JDIQ), Computer Speech & Language, PLOS One
- Outstanding Reviewer: ACL 2021, EMNLP 2020/2021
Q. Are you the famous green dinosaur?
A. No. I’m not working with the famous Italian plumber, but both of us are originally from Japan. Yoshi means “good” in Japanese, and my full first name Yoshihiko means “a good boy”, which well describes myself. :)
Q. What is your favorite ramen place?
A. Please contact me for my private list of the best ramen places. :)